The Polidors

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Global Food Crisis Day - March 11

Serious post time.  As you may know, Colin and I support an organization called Compassion International.  We sponsor a child named Hector every month so that he can receive education, food, and know the love of  Jesus.  I blogged about it here and here. Compassion is partnering with churches and bloggers around the world to raise awareness and funds for the Global Food Crisis.  

For more detailed information and how you can help visit www.compassion.com/please.

So, here's my take on it...All information gleaned from above website.

Why is there a global food crisis?  Friends, to be honest with you, I just don't get it.  I believe that there is more than enough food, resources, medicines, etc. in this world for everyone.  I just don't think we're managing the resources appropriately.  Why does anyone have to be hungry?  I know that poverty is a much bigger demon than I can understand, but it still breaks my heart.  Food shortages and poverty are nothing new to the developing world.  It has been a problem for years.  But this food crisis is much worse and more urgent.  "Since 2005, food prices have risen 80%".  Reasons include "rising fuel costs, rising food demands from countries like India and China, natural disasters, and the growth of biofuels".  

What does Compassion do to help? 
--They provide food vouchers to children and families who need immediate relief.
        --They provide seeds and agricultural tools so that families can grow their own food and                make extra money.     
        --They provide supplemental nutrition at Compassion-assisted centers around the world.

Why is there poverty and why is there hunger?  I don't know, but I pray that our generation will see the end of both.  Because at the end of the day, no matter how bad our economy is, I know that I will not suffer hunger like those in the third world.  Be blessed friends, Tiffany

2 Comments:

Blogger Cara said...

Ooh, didn't know about that. So we got our first letter from our kiddo, Jancin. I've been a horrible person and need to write him. Actually, the letter is written but I don't have a good picture of us as a family to send him. What's up with that? Anyway, so his favorite color is orange and he wants to be a Dr. You go, kid!

March 11, 2009 at 3:09 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

So, I couldn't remember the word "palindrome", but I so wanted to use it. It really would've sounded stupid to say, "it's a cool name because it can be spelled the same forward and backwards"...pretty sure I would've looked like a moron. :)
And I would LOVE to use Elizabeth (it is my middle name)...but Trav dated an Elizabeth in high school and won't use the name for his child. Not even a middle name. It was in HIGH SCHOOL, are you kidding me?!? So I was thinking "Tina" instead.

March 12, 2009 at 2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home