The Polidors

Saturday, January 10, 2009

How Local is Local?

So, I just finished reading "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver (highly recommend).  The book is basically one family's experiment of eating "local".  They define local as foods grown within 100 miles of their home (Appalachia).  I have read elsewhere that local is defined as within 250 miles of your home.  So I'm at the Harris Teeter last weekend in the produce section when I notice these signs that said "locally grown" by some of the vegetables.  I usually buy all organic produce, but I decided to investigate.  I asked one of the friendly produce people which farm the local produce was from.  He said "Some of it is from North Carolina and the rest is from California".  What???  California does not equal local to me!  So I was slightly disappointed.  But on a brighter note, Colin and I decided that we are going to join a CSA this spring and embark on eating with the seasons!!  I'm currently researching local CSAs, but if you have any suggestions, let me know.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cara said...

I agree, Carolina and Cali? What is that, anyway? Crazy. Good for you for asking though.
Megan and JJ did a CSA (they split it with someone else, I think). Megan was the best at preserving what she they didn't use. She was very talented. I don't know what one they used. My sister did one up here, she liked it but aren't going to do it again...probably because they're building up their garden with more stuff that they'll use. You'll get a lot of different veggies and herbs to try! :)

January 11, 2009 at 3:45 PM  
Blogger chris anne said...

thank you for your comment on my blog. it makes me feel better to know that hopefully andrew and campbell will be like colin and his brother. i hope you are doing well. it's been too long. we should get together sometime.

January 20, 2009 at 5:56 AM  
Blogger Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

I've enjoyed Avalon Acres CSA & am looking forward to doing it again!

February 5, 2009 at 1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home