The Polidors

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Wealthy?

My best friend Lisa is a high school biology teacher. She is really great at her job. Over dinner the other night she was telling me about an activity she had her class participate in this week. It was called a hunger banquet. She divided her class into wealthy, middle-class, and poor according to the appropriate percentages in third world countries (i.e. only 4 students were considered wealthy). She provided food for all students. The wealthy students received chicken parmesan, salad, and dessert. They were seated at a table with nice linens, silverware, etc. The middle class students were given rice and beans on a paper plate and seated at their desks. The poor students were given 1 cup of rice and seated on the floor. She said that many of the "poor" students were disgruntled because there was so much food left over, but they weren't allowed to eat it. This made me think about all the food I waste. Seriously. And here's the kicker...just about everyone in the U.S. would be considered "wealthy". I have never thought of myself as "wealthy" although I have given thought to what I would do if I were. But me, wealthy? As I thought about this more, I realized how fortunate I am. I have never been hungry, never feared for my life, and never not had a place to sleep. Never. I have wonderful parents who loved me enough to say "no" sometimes, and who supported me through all my educational endeavors. Speaking of education, I have not one, but two college degrees. I have a great job, great friends, and a fabulous husband. So I have a new perspective on wealth, and I would definitely consider myself wealthy beyond measure. "to whom much is given, much will be expected" Luke 12:48. If you are reading this, I count you as one of the many blessings in my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home